March 24, 2020
Dear Wide Horizons Family,
The following is an important update to our recent email detailing changes in our adoption operations due to the Corona Virus pandemic. We are doing everything in our power to be available and responsive to families during this crisis. As with all aspects of our lives at the moment, this information is subject to change. Should circumstances change, we will provide updates accordingly.
- Effective March 24, 2020, Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker issued an emergency order requiring all non-essential businesses and organizations to close their physical workplaces and facilities to workers, customers and the public until Tuesday, April 7th at noon. These businesses are encouraged to continue operations remotely. Similar orders are in place for our NY office.
- In compliance with this state mandate, our main office in Waltham, Massachusetts is now closed and the entirety of our staff is working remotely from their homes.
- Adoption applications and many steps in the adoption process are continuing via remote means. However, some steps in the overall adoption process may be delayed as our ability to create hard copy, notarized, official documents is very limited. Please be in contact with your adoption team as we are determining what is feasible on a case by case basis.
- Similarly, some USCIS processing is continuing, while steps that involve an in-person appointment at an office are delayed.
- For most of our international programs, processing of adoption applications is continuing, but travel is being delayed for all adoptive parents. Adoptions through our USA infant program are proceeding normally, at this time.
- For families recently home, your social worker may have to conduct post placement visits via remote video technology, rather than in person.
Regardless of where you are in process, your dedicated team at Wide Horizons is here to help you and will continue to be in touch with you directly about any specific issues that may affect your situation.
On behalf of our staff and our Board of Directors, we wish you health and safety as you navigate these uncharted waters.
With sincere best wishes,
President and CEO
Wide Horizons For Children