Health Insurance

In general, children who have been adopted should be treated equally as children born to a family by insurance companies. However, there are policy to policy differences and it is important that you speak directly with your own insurance agent in order to understand your policy and what documentation they need.

Some policies provided for employees of the federal government and for those who are self-employed (i.e, not group policies based at your place of employment) have very different procedures and levels of coverage.

If your child arrived home from the Philippines, WHFC will automatically send an official placement letter confirming placement with your family and your responsibilities for your child’s care. This letter is often requested by your insurance company as you file for coverage.

In other countries, the adoption decree should be the proof that is needed.

Additional Information: