Please be sure to read all instructions carefully. These represent the state specific documentation needed for a home study. We recommend you begin gathering these documents as soon as possible. Some of the clearances take considerable time to process and a home study can not be finished without all being received. You may send documents to WHFC as you receive or complete them, or submit all documents at once. Remember that we are here to help you every step of the way! Please do not hesitate to contact your Adoption Coordinator with questions.
ITEMS THAT CAN BE SCANNED TO YOUR ADOPTION COORDINATOR
You may, of course, mail copies if that is easier for you. Please send the first two items ASAP:
- These forms related to various clearances.
- A copy of a photo id (license or passport) for each household member age 15 and older
- Birth certificates for all household members
- Marriage certificate for applicants (if applicable)
- Final divorce decree(s) for either applicant (if applicable)
- Most recent 1040 (first two pages only)
- Vermont Registry Form
- Vermont Release of Information – submit regardless of whether you have adopted or fostered before
- Vermont Background Clearance Form – one for every household adult. There are additional steps for domestic adoption which will be given to you.
Please note that you will likely need a few originals of 3,4, and 5 later in the adoption process. Copies are fine for our file. Also, additional financial information may be needed on a case by case basis.
ITEMS THAT YOU NEED TO GIVE TO OTHERS TO COMPLETE:
- MEDICAL STATEMENT
Complete one for each person living in your home
- RELEASE OF COUNSELING INFORMATION If applicable
- AFFIDAVIT OF HEALTH INSURANCE Completed by your employer or insurance company
- LETTERS OF REFERENCE
See enclosed instructions
IF YOU HAVE HAD ANY ARRESTS or COURT APPEARANCES:
Review these instructions for additional items needed.
CHILD ABUSE REGISTRY CHECKS FOR ADDITIONAL PLACES:
Child abuse registry checks (CARIs) must be conducted (for all adult household members) for all places of residence you lived in the last five years (for domestic adoption) or since age 18 (for international adoption). Please provide the list via the form linked above (item #1) and your adoption coordinator will provide state specific instructions. The VT CARI is included in #9 above.
Due to the pandemic, 2022 classes are over zoom. Your social worker will map out a plan with you.
IMMIGRATION FILING INSTRUCTIONS
(for towards the end of your home study if adopting internationally)
Please mail to the address below after making copies for your records.
Wide Horizons For Children
391 Totten Pond Road, Suite 303
Waltham, MA 02451
Attn: Your Adoption Coordinator (Christina, Jessica, Anne or Maryanne)