Volunteer for a Medical Mission
Wide Horizons For Children sponsors successful medical missions to Ethiopia. Teams of skilled, U.S.-based medical professionals travel to Sidama and Tigray to:
- Provide training in a range of life-saving techniques
- Perform surgeries
- Train local physicians and nurses on updated medical practices.
- Bring necessary equipment and supplies to severely under-equipped health facilities
- Visit rural communities to train traditional birth attendants and community health workers.
We invite doctors, nurses, public health professionals and other health care specialists to apply. The following specialties are currently needed:
- General surgery
- Obstetrics and gynecology
- Emergency medicine
- Primary Care
Prior experience administering medical care in developing countries is helpful. Conditions are uncertain and may involve working without fresh water or electricity. Applicants able to travel under these terms will be given priority.
Mission volunteers are responsible for their own airfare to and from Ethiopia. They are also responsible for obtaining a valid passport, any necessary immunizations, spending money and other related costs.
How to Apply
The number of health care providers and specialists needed for each mission will vary depending upon the specific needs of the hospital and community. You do not need to reapply. Your application will be saved for future missions. Selected applicants will be contacted by the physician leading each trip.